Monday, September 14, 2015

Letter #49 09/14/15

We went apple picking 


Walkin' through the valley of the shadow of death......

But, really. I think I know what the psalmist was talking about when he penned those words on some scrolls somewhere- 

He was sick on his mission. 

Long story short, I've contracted a mysterious illness. Probably a parasite or something. #spanishmissionaryprobs.
And also, it's not that serious.. probably. Haha. But it is seriously annoying because I DON'T WANNA REST. It's crazy to think back to the times where I would lay in a bed for hours on end and be completely content and feel like I had done something with my life. But Sister McNeely's being a cute mom and forcing things like rest/doctors visits upon me. No good, I tell you. 

BUT GET THIS. So yesterday, I visited the urgent care for the second time in two weeks. We got nowhere, but after eating dinner I was commanded to rest. I slept for a solid two hours when- I just woke up. And at the very moment that I woke up, Sister McNeely ran in and was just like, "Hermana Yost, we've gotta go teach somebody!" and I was like, "Alright, now you think we should teach instead of rest.. make up your mind!" and then we went out.. drove to an apartment complex, prayed, got out of the car and.. there's this lady walking into her house. We call out to her, she comes over, we have one of the most spiritual lessons EVER in the dark parking lot and we're both crying and.. then we went back home. What? Haha, it was so intense. Like, Heavenly Father just picked us up right out of our house at the exact moment to drop us in the parking lot when she'd be outside. And we had prayed specifically for an opportunity to get a new investigator, see his hand and feel like we had fulfilled our purpose for the day (cause I knew Sister M was feeling so cooped up and sad) and.. BAM. There you have it. :) 
Carter Mountain beauty

But what to our wondering eyes should appear?  But my baby girl Herman Kingsley,
her companion and President and sister Wilson. #shesgoinghome #thetenderestofallmercies


ALSO. Okay. Anyone who knew pre-mission Hermana Yost should hold on tight for the ride of their lives with this story.. SO. Our apartment complex here in Charlottesville doesn't have a recycling program. But, to this day, there's a recycling program embedded deep in my heart. SO I've been trying my hand at the recycling thing. There's a plant downtown, but it has the weirdest hours known to man, so literally every time we try.. preparation day, lunch hours.. it is super duper closed. Needless to say, I have accumulated quite a bit of recycling in my three transfers here. This past Tuesday we had senior missionary apartment inspections, so the goods had to go. It was us against the world as we hoped and prayed mightily that the plant would be open... but alas, it was not. My heart sunk, but my pride was like, I don't care! I'm keeping the recyclables. And my dear companion was obviously frustrated because, who likes a house full of this type of goods? 
So, I had a choice to make. We drove home in silence as my mind played through the options. It seemed as if life was moving in slow motion as we pulled into the apartment complex. This was the pivotal moment of my life/mission/everything. Had I allowed the atonement of Jesus Christ to change my character over the course of a year of missionary service? 


 I opened my mouth, and the words, "It's okay, just drive us to the dumpster" came out. 

I threw away three transfers worth of recyclable materials. Out of my hands, into the dumpster, straight to a landfill. 

But I know that it wasn't me. I now know that the pure love of Jesus Christ has the power to change even our best desires if their momentarily not in line with His will. I'm so grateful I've been able to come on a mission and slowly but surely be changed by Him! And this gift, the most beautiful precious gift of His atonement is available to ALL of us. 

Needless to say, it's been a weird week. But HEY our people are still doing well. Life is happy, in spite of it all.. and I'M GONNA BE A SPANISH MISSIONARY in just a short amount of time. Two of my favorite ladies in the ward did a spanish/english medley of Joseph Smith's First Prayer and.. I totally lost it. As did Sister McNeely. And it was such a special moment. We've had such a special time together, I'm so grateful. 

What a wonderful world


The fit for the kingdom 5K




No comments:

Post a Comment