Monday, December 1, 2014

Letter #13 12/01/14


"I made it through the wilderness, you know I made it through!" Musings on surviving my first transfer."

Hello, hello! Well, as I'm sure you have all been dying to know, the lots have been cast and I am staying another wonderful transfer in the Burkeville Branch. I mean, there was a SUPER low likelihood of getting transferred, but I will admit to being sufficiently terrified the whole week leading up to transfer calls. Hermana Clark asked me the other day if I get attached to people quickly, I hung my head in a silent, 'yes'. #thestruggleisreal

Anyways, this week was really super fantastic. Miracle stories, as per always. It's really so incredibly neat being on the mish. THE LORD'S HAND IS EVERYWHERE. It has to be. We've got nothing else to lean on out here in the wilderness that is el campo. (The field) So, we'll just cut to the good stuff, because porque no? Once upon a time, we had this day full of places to go, people to see, we were way stoked about it. We had planned to walk, so that means that we'd run into a lot of people on the streets. Right before we were leaving, I thought it would be a good idea to have an English Book of Mormon with us because we rarely happen upon Hispanics, so we went back inside before leaving to get one. We didn't have any in the house, but before shutting the door I quickly grabbed an English Plan of Salvation pamphlet that was randomly sitting on our kitchen table. Anyways, as we went out and about quite literally EVERYONE we had planned to see, or had appointments with was busy or not home or just plain didn't want to see us. I was getting super down in the dumps about it, even walking through the empty streets sings 'All Creatures of Our God and King' en espanol at the top of our lungs was hardly helping to lift our spirits. After a good couple hours of this, we were about ready to head back to the house because we had a dinner appointment with one of the less active families in the branch. As we turn down the street to head home, we see Jason (one of our potential investigators, the son of one of our actual investigator) drive by in his truck. We wave at him, and continue on our way back to the house. Then I just get this feeling that we should head back by their house and knock the door of their next door neighbor. So we go back and knock her door, but no one answers.. okay.. so we decide to quick write a note to Donna (Jason's mom) before heading back for real. So we're sitting there writing this note to her, when Jason drives back up with his friend C. We talk to them for a while outside the house, and C. just tells us her whole life story. How she'd had a lot of trials and had a really awful preacher who was not kind to their family so they stopped going to church. Jason goes inside, but we continue talking to C. Finally we're like, "Let's go sit down. We want to teach you!" and at the table she tells us about how she's had some problems drinking because her grandma died and she doesn't know how to cope.. then she starts talking about how she really doesn't think a loving God would send us just to Heaven or Hell.. then starts talking about a firm belief in some sort of spirit world.. and WHAT IN THE WORLD it was incredible. I whipped out the Plan o Salv pamphlet that I had felt like I should grab this morning, and we start teaching her. The spirit was SO happy and I was SO excited! We were in the right place at the right moment to find a prepared human.. It was incredible. I realized what He meant when the Lord admonishes us to, "preach the gospel with a sound of rejoicing"! This really is the GOOD news! I was jumping up and down the whole time practically, haha.

Brother Palmese--our wanna be Italian, President Monson look alike, originally from New York, currently residing in Richmond, stake assigned branch mission leader got released yesterday.  Bless his heart.  He took us to lunch every week  for correlation meeting and although we didn't always get much work done with him, we had great conversations about deep doctrinal topics and Frank Sinatra.

So you know my fav family La Garcia? I sent pics of their kids once, we go to their birthday fiestas.. anyways. We hadn't seen them for a while when we went over the other night. We had ordered them a book of himnos because they LOVE it when we sing to open lessons. Hma Clark wrote our testimony in the front, and we were excited to gift it to them. But when we got to the door, the kids told us that their mom was "busy", which we know is what happened to the last set of missionaries before they got dropped. So we just waited by the door for a while, talking to the kids, when finally H. (the husband) came and told us we could come inside. He always loves to talk to us and has a really religious heart. So we did, and started talking to him in the living room. He went off about how he had talked to the family and they didn't want to change or come to our church because they just wanted to stay catholic because that is what they are accustomed to. So we talked and testified and went in circles and felt the spirit a little and I basically started crying. Haha. Then I went in to the kitchen to talk to A. (the mom) and she wouldn't even talk to me at all.. yikes. So, I dunno, it was just awkward. But we warmed them up enough to want to feed us(?) I guess.. haha, and so they were setting up the table for us to eat. And it was H, and three of the kids in the dining area and one of the kids had the book. He opened it, and asked me to read the testimony. So I sat in their little hallway dining area and read our testimony to them. The room was silent, and the spirit was SO strong. H. even teared up.  He was so excited about the testimony, that He started reading it again out loud when A. came in. We talked more over dinner and everything thing was mended by the time we got up to go. I left that appointment walking on air because I was CERTAIN that He had felt the spirit. It was awesome.

I've just had a lot of crazy testimony building experiences here. If anyone is ever struggling with their testimony, THEY MUST SERVE A MISSION. It is the best thing you could ever do. I have no doubts about the truthfulness of our message, the beauty of the restored gospel. We have had many a lesson recently truly guided by the spirit, where we got to teach to peoples needs and understand them so much more. The gospel truly has something for everyone, because it is for everyone! We are all His children. Yesterday, after church, we called one of our investigators to set up an appointment.. he told us he was at lunch with his family and that his aunt wanted to talk to us. She began with some small talk, but soon started to rip me apart. It was terrifying and so sad. But no experience has given me more peace, more comfort, more absolute joy and sadness at knowing that there is MORE. The restored gospel of Jesus Christ only offers MORE than most of Heavenly Father's children have in their lives, and it is heartbreaking when people don't want to listen or even want to hurt. We are SO blessed. We need to take advantage of this blessing.

The photo of the killer hog that I know you've been holding your breath for.

Odd's and Ends:
- One of our Hispanic investigators asked me if I was a hippie the other day.. uh..
- I am the joke of the whole world to every single Hispanic investigator. I was trying to learn to dance like a Mexican after one of our lessons and they called in the entire family to watch and laugh.
- I got to attend the baptism of three incredibly cool black humans on Saturday, and it ruled. Princess Jenni is now on date for baptism and she got to come. She thought the baptism was, "awesome!"
- We were in charge of filling the font and the other elders told us we should probably stop filling it. So we turned it off, all is well.. when they begin to baptize the other humans there's a lot of commotion as everyone whispers in fear that the font is SO shallow. Uh, oops.. Hahah. It all worked out, and with some extra force, every single human was successfully dunked.
- I ATE RIGHT MANY COLLARD GREENS LAST NIGHT. Life is good, my friends. #thesouthernlyfe

Lots and lots and LOTS of love coming your way! I am so grateful for you all. God is SO good! <3
Have a blessed week!
Hermana Yost

PS- Check out Christmas.mormon.org if you haven't yet.. so neat! #heisthegift

No comments:

Post a Comment